Sunday, March 2, 2014

20 Time Update

20 time is simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to me all year. It is teaching me to push boundaries of creativity in ways I haven't experienced since elementary school. Once I got into middle school, I really felt like creativity took the back burner in my education. Everything was focused on research/non-fiction/the real world, and I think part of me forgot how to be creative. 20 Time has challenged that, forcing me to reconnect with passions for design and fashion that I all but completely ignored for years. I'm learning a lot about myself and my limits, as well as the limits I can push with design. 
My one criticism of 20 time, however, is the lack of ability for effective class time use. I can't exactly figure out how to word this properly, but essentially I wish we were forced to do something like make mini-presentations on our projects to present the class to ensure productivity and motivation. I've had difficulty with motivation, and I think that would be helped through sharing my project and updates with my classmates publically, in addition to my weekly blog posts. I feel like a lot of times our 20 time days are spent unguided as we scroll aimlessly through other blogs. Aside from a lack of classroom motivation, I enjoy 20 time. It's the first opportunity I've had in years to express creativity in my education, and has made me a more independent, creative, and present human being. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your point about more guidance during the Friday time. I want to give freedom, but I also see what you are saying about how the time is used. I'm trying to find the right balance of letting kids explore without the added pressure. I will have to think more on this.

    ReplyDelete